Kale: Health Benefits & a Delicious Recipe!
When my good buddy, Elaine of Simply Healthy told me about her kale recipe discovery, I didn't think much of it.
I chalked it up as "just another salad."
But when she started rattling off the numerous health benefits of kale and how delicious her salad recipe was, I began to pay more attention and did some research of my own.
I was pleassantly surprised at all the wonderous benefits kale provides.
Here are a handful...
- Contains Vitamins A, C and K (Vitamin K can help prevent cancer, blood clotting and promotes bone health)
- Excellent source of antioxidants
- Rich in Fiber (5 grams per cup)
- Improves digestive health (always good if bloating is an issue)
- Gives you an energy and boosts mood
- Helps lower cholesterol
Bottom Line: Kale is in the leafy green vegetable family, so it's always good to add as many of these foods to your flat stomach diet!
Massaged Kale Recipe
So I decided to try my friend's recipe that she reveals in this video. I made my own slight modifications and I've listed how I make it below...
3-4 Stalks of Kale
1 Lemon (you may need 1 1/2 or 2)
Pinch of Kosher Salt
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of Garlic (fresh or powder)
1/2 teaspoon Olive Oil
Pinch of Black Pepper
1 teaspoon of Honey
1) First, prepare the dressing by squeezing one lemon into a small bowl. Sprinkle in black pepper and garlic powder and add honey.
Use a whisk to mix the dressing well. Set aside.
NOTE: You may need to adjust the amount of the ingredients to your liking. For example, if it's too lemony, add more honey. If you like garlic, add more garlic powder.
2) Remove kale from the stalks and discard. Be sure to wash thoroughly.
3) Spinkle garlic powder, kosher salt, olive oil, salt and a few drops of lemon juice on the freshly washed kale.
4) With your fingers, massage the kale for 1-3 minutes. Massaging it breaks down the kale so the taste is not so bitter. The leaves should become bright green.
5) Now add your tomatoes, avocado and dressing.
Feel free to add additional vegetables and adjust recipe to taste.